Sausage Butties for Tea!
September 13, 2010 § Leave a Comment
Here is my recent take on a very old family tradition – Friday night sausage butties! If that sounded alarming to anyone: a sausage toastie is the thing. Every Friday, whenever me Dad was home, I could be found heffing down a sausage butty or two made up of a couple of classic British Pork Bangers, cut in thirds lengthwise; two slices of thin white toast; and lashings of Heinz ketchup (with more on the plate for dipping). These more recent ‘metabolically-challenged’ days of mine lend themselves to a new incarnation: voilà!
- 2 x Applegate Farms Organic Uncured Turkey Hot Dogs
- 2 x slices of sourdough loaf (the crusty/freshly baked by someone else version)
- 1/2 tin of Whole Plum Tomatoes (stewed for a few mins with oregano & salt)
- Grill/Broil the sausages for a few minutes turning frequently
- Lightly toast bread
- Spread tomato saucey bit of stewed tomatoes on both sides of warm toast
- Cut sausages in half lengthwise and sandwich between the toast.
It’s a surprisingly close match to the original and significantly better for you….